As a pet owner, you need to take extra measures to protect your home against electrical risks. Pets are known for knocking items over, chewing on wires, and more, all of which could cause harm to them and your family. Fortunately, there are many ways to prevent these threats. Here’s what you can do:
Most pets will chew on whatever they can find, including electrical wires. Chewing on wires can be life-threatening, leading to shocks, burns, and in worse cases, electrocution. To keep your pet safe, make sure to “pet-proof” your wires and power cables by covering them, or at the very least, positioning them where your pets can’t reach them.
Pets are playful. When running around, they may knock over lamps, TVs, and other devices. To steer clear of electrical risks (and protect your expensive appliances!), consider disconnecting these items from their outlets. By doing so, you’ll also be able to save money. This is because certain devices may continue to draw electricity even when not in use, contributing to your utility bill.
Water should never come into contact with electricity! When using items such as hair dryers, curling irons, etc. near water sources such as sinks, don’t forget to unplug them immediately after use. While playing, your pet may knock them into the water, resulting in short circuits, shocks, or even fires that could threaten their safety.
You can’t blame your pet for not understanding the dangers of playing with and around wires, cords, and appliances. If you keep your pet indoors most of the time, make sure to train them to avoid these hazards. Firmly say “no” when your pet goes near our electricals, and be sure to provide them with toys as distractions.
When allowing your pets outdoors, create a designated safe play area away from any landscape lights, HVAC wiring, and more. In the same way, underground wiring must be deep enough so your dog can’t get to them when digging. Be sure to double-check if the garage door is closed, as these spaces often contain electrical items that could pose a risk to your pet’s safety.
Pets, particularly dogs, need an outlet for their energy. If they don’t have proper playtime, they will likely resort to other forms of entertainment, such as chewing on your wires and cords. Make sure your pet has plenty of toys and supplies to keep them entertained all day and take them out on walks to prevent boredom.
Be on the constant lookout for signs of electrical damage, such as exposed wires and loose connections. If you spot any of these, call your local electrician immediately. Swift action can prevent minor issues from escalating, and ensure the safety of your pets.
In case your pet has already done some damage to your electrical components, call the pros immediately. At Beeson Mechanical Service, we’ll promptly deal with any issues that could put your pets in danger. Our skilled electricians will secure all your electrical systems to keep your pets, as well as your property and its contents, safe
Call 317-535-9338 today to schedule a commitment-free consultation.